Kahootz databases let you create and share simple lists or more complex database-style tables of information. You can create and manage a database online, or import data from an existing spreadsheet and share online. Data can be exported in a variety of formats. You can also run dynamic reports on the contents of the database and produce charts and tables.
Databases are a good way of presenting tabular data or managing lists of information with your workspace members, using an easy and flexible method all from within your web browser.
The easiest way to describe their benefits is to compare them to uploading a simple Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to your Kahootz workspace:
- With an Excel file, people have to download the file to read it, relying on Excel compatible software on their device (think of mobile users).
- As it's a single file, only one person can edit it at a time, and they have to have suitable software installed (think mobile again).
- In general, all rows and columns in the spreadsheet can be seen and edited by all users (there are some advanced methods of stopping that in Excel, but we can do more in Kahootz).
With a Kahootz online database:
- The content is presented as a web page within your Kahootz workspace - meaning it can be viewed in any web browser on any platform.
- The data can be sorted and searched online quickly.
- You can enable advanced searching - e.g find all rows with an OPEN status that were added in the last month by Harry.
- All editing is online, meaning it can be done from any place, any device.
- Multiple users can view and add rows at the same time.
- Data is validated, so you can specify that people must put in a name, or dates must be valid, or numbers must be within a certain range
- Values in columns can be calculated based on information in other rows, or provide evaluated information based on other information such as the current date.
- You can enable detailed controls about who can view each row and column, offering easy access control.
- Our reporting and export functions allow you to analyse the data in your database, produce quick charts, PDF reports and more.
- You can view your data quickly using different views.
For more information see, How to create a database?